BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 27, 2011

What a TRIP!

For the past 14 months we planned on going to Jennings, LA for Thanksgiving. It started to become somewhat of a tradition before we had the twins and we want to keep fostering it. The Cajuns do Thanksgiving a little different.....including Rice Dressing. We enjoy all the different foods when we visit. Last year, I didn't feel safe traveling far from my hospital since I was BIG and pregnant, so we missed it. This year, we envisioned the twins be-bopping around Aunt Darla and Uncle Boyd's house all year long. Well, right before the trip, I got a horrid kidney/bladder/yeast infection. The doctors prescribed me one antibiotic that was later discontinued since the culture that was sent off to the labs proved that the bacteria I was harvesting was resistant to it. My back ached, my head throbbed, my bladder burned and I certainly didn't feel up for a 7 hour drive. Tuesday rolled around and I canceled our plans, as bad as I hated to. There was just NO way I could get there AND take care of little ones on the way. Well, if you know those people, you know that they pray. If you know me, you know I do, too. We did lots of praying and hoping and wishing....and low and behold, I woke up Wednesday morning feeling LOADS better. By noon, I felt almost like myself again. Brent got off work early and I talked him into letting us go, even though we'd already canceled. We got everything packed and ready within an hour and left! The trip there was awesome. Brenlee and Cadence giggled and played around in the back seat before drifting off to sleep. I enjoyed reading "I'll Be There" by Deborah Grace Staley and enjoyed every single minute of it. The weather was delightful and the road was just bumpy enough to keep the girls sleeping for the majority of the drive. We arrived in Jennings at 10pm. Darla and Boyd and Brad are some of the most hospitable people I have ever met. Somehow they make their home feel like our home. They're just naturals. The twins slept like logs every night and slumbered away hours for naps, as well. It was a blessing for Brenlee and Cadence to visit with their cousins, too. Bradly, Breiana, Ashton, and our "cousins" Daidyn, Dustin and Dylan Mallet. The Mallets are great friends of the Becks there in Jennings and we're happy to call them "family." I captured some videos of the all the kids playing together, but even those will not show the essence of the love that filled the air. Some of my favorite moments were:  
  • Watching Bradlyn chase Cadence around and through the hallway saying, "I'm gonna getchoooo!"  She has a raspy/sultry voice and such a sweet southern accent. When she smiles, she has dimples that adorn her smile. Who wouldn't LOVE to be chased around by her??
  • Coloring with Breiana. This is almost always a highlight of my time in Jennings. I miss coloring. Soon enough, I know, I'll have the opportunity to color with the twins.
  • Getting neck rubs by Ashton. He may be just a small boy, but he can give one heck of a neck massage! He has such a sweet and tender side under that facade he usually portrays. 
  • Sitting around the dinner table eating and talking with Darla, Boyd, Brad and Brent. They reminisced and told stories and the part I love most about this is that I've been around long enough to have stories :) 
  • Going to their Snow Cone stand. If you could capture the smell that you smell when you walk into it, I'd buy it. Just something happy about the sound of ice grinding and watching the sweet "ambrosia" syrup poured over it.......yummy! I still stuck with my usual, Strawberry Cheesecake with Cream. 
I could list many more things that were just perfect, I guess I'll save that for another blog! We stayed in Louisiana for a mere 2.5 days and 3 nights and made memories that will last a life time. I didn't look forward to coming home, just yet. I love our home away from home in Jennings and look forward to next year already! Now that this big celebration is over, it's time to start planning the next one. CHRISTMAS!! We will be staying home this year, for sure. December is full of festivities, smells, sounds and the splendor of Christ and it's so special. The girls 1st Christmas. What blessings we have in store, O God, I am thankful. Well, time for bed....actually past time.....I hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment